Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Overqualifed Professors

By Sami Ahmed

As a freshmen student in Georgia Tech, sometimes I feel that some of my professors are overqualified to teach me basic classes, e.g. Calculus II. My particular Calculus II professor teaches only two classes during the fall semester of 2009, Calculus II and some senior level class. He seemed to be really involved in his research and work as well. I really like my professor, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I feel as if he is “too smart” for me. Whenever he would teach, he would occasionally say things that are too advanced for the classroom that we haven’t discussed yet. It’s not necessarily his fault, he already knows all the things he is teaching us in class plus more and it’s hard to distinguish what material your students’ already know, and the material your students’ haven’t learned yet. Universities should look into hiring few professors who aren’t extremely advanced in their field so that when they teach their classes, they don’t accidently say things that are way advanced for the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment