Friday, August 28, 2009

"I still have time... I can do this later...."By Michael Kang

4:45 pm on a Saturday Evening, I looked at the clock. OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! MY ENGLISH BLOG IS DUE IN 15 MINUTES!!!! I CAN'T POSSIBLY HAVE ENOUGH TIME! Rushing through the blog, I finished just as the clock turned 5:00 pm. Whew. Made it just in the nick of time. I then said to myself, "hm.... I wonder what made me wait this late to finish my blog that Dr. Lake has so graciously given me so much time to work on." If I had started earlier, I would have most likely finished earlier and could have had more time to even proof read a few times.

Unfortunately, there are others who are having difficulty with procrastination habits. According to Bruce Tuckman's procrastination article written on August 2, 2002, "worst procrastinators received significantly lower grades in a college course with many deadlines than did low or moderate-level procrastinators." The worst procrastinators were said to also have "rationalizations" for their having procrastinated. But the burden on a procrastinator's shoulders has room to multiply. According to Tuckman, not only does procrastinating cause "higher stress" but it also lowers the procrastinators "own level of achievement" and possibly "average GPA."

I, myself, am also guilty of the charges laid before me. I am guilty of having procrastinated in the past and, truthfully, still am. Below, I have done an interview of two current Georgia Tech students, one a freshman and the other a senior, to create a link between the guild of procrastinators. As a fellow procrastinator, I know how difficult removing old habits can be. Like you, I am also looking for an answer about "how I could change my habits." Ohio State's Tuckman gave us the answer in his August 22 article stating that the "key to overcoming procrastination may be to recognize the inaccuracies of the common "wishful thinking" rationalizations." As his last remark Tuckman advises us, procrastinators, to "attempt starting and accomplishing assignments ahead of time." I don't know about you but I would not mind sleeping earlier and getting a good nights rest along with excellent grades and no white hairs.

Below is the interview of senior Anthony Minarik and freshman Ryan Thamm. In compilation with the interviews, username FuquaSchOfBusiness's "I'll Stop Procrasting... Tomorrow" will be immediately played.

NOTE: the interview conducted were two "men of Glenn." Because Glenn is not a Co-Ed building, female opinions could not be obtained. Information displayed is just the men's side of view, which may or may not coincide with the female point of view.








No comments:

Post a Comment