Saturday, August 29, 2009

The fiends of college computing: The Blue Screen of Death

Bud Whitley
The collegiate world has grown incredibly dependant on computers and the use of Information Technologies. “Typically, computers make life much easier. For example, a college student can take class notes complete assignments, write papers, and manage to-do-lists in organized files which are a breeze to access,” says Connor R. Sullivan in a blog post online. It is mandatory at Georgia Tech to have a laptop computer because many classes are entirely dependent on them and web sources for passing out handouts, notes, and turning work in. English 1101 with Dr. Lake is a prime example of such a class and the ease of access and work turn it is a great facilitation of time.
However, problems occur when computers begin to have major problems.


This notorious image, know to windows users as the dreaded “Blue Screen of Death,” spells doom and destruction to all work data on the machine. Last Wednesday I had a Blue Screen of Death that crippled my computer. When I arrived at the Office of Information Technologies, I was promptly taken back, had my computer looked at, and was told by a member of the Georgia Institute of TECHNOLOGY “Oh… You have a very unique problem and we cannot help you, contact your hardware provider’s website.” My computer company told me to use diagnostic software to check my systems. I’m sure this method works great… when the computer doesn’t Blue Screen half way through. At this point, I did what I should have done first: I went up to first floor and yelled “Who can fix a Blue Screen of Death?” I got a few responses, and within 10 minutes it was found that my operating system was toast and I needed to factory reset my computer. I had lost most of a day due to a nasty bug on a necessary piece of equipment.
Computers in college are a wonderful and necessary tool as long as they don’t break. My computer broke and I lost valuable time that the computer was introduced to save. This issue, all though relatively small, can cause a great deal of problems and really foul you up. More steps need to be taken in order to help students immediately and not turn them away when their problem is “unique.”

No comments:

Post a Comment